Thursday, July 9, 2009

Officially a Family of 7!!!!!!!!

OK, I'm a terrible blogger. Horrible. Completely thoughtless. Maybe you'll forgive me after reading the last 3 months...

Here's what I began to write on July 3rd... Funny how life can change in a single instant. How circumstances that happen on the other side of the world create the first day of the rest of your life that will never be the same again. It's hard for me to believe that I was sleeping while it all went down... I woke up Thursday morning, July 2nd, completely oblivious to the missed calls on my cell phone. It had been a particularly lazy morning. Most nights in the last few days and weeks were filled with fitful sleep and continual prayers as I anxiously waited for our kids to officially become ours. Earlier in the week I had gotten the news that we were dependent on one person in Ethiopia who needed to write a letter that the Ministry of Women's Affairs was requiring for our case. This person was not very motivated to get things like this done and his track record supported his lack of motivation! It was a reality that it could be weeks and most likely, months before that letter would get done. Facing the impending court closures in August and September because of the rainy season, this meant if we didn't get a court date within the week, we probably wouldn't make it before they closed.

Tuesday that week, brought a high level of stress, faced with the recent news. Wednesday brought an amazing peace as I fasted again as I've been doing each week since we started this process. I've learned so much through this period of fasting - so much of it seems to be what God needs to do in me, versus what can be accomplished through our fervent prayers. Although, I must say, I've seen more miracles on Wednesdays than I ever have! What a privilege that God allows us to partner with Him as He accomplishes His purpose!

Going in to Wednesday night, I slept quite peacefully, content that God was doing what He needed to do. Back to Thursday...You have to realize that my phone and computer (w/ email attached :)) have been my constant companions for months now. Each day when I've thought there could be news, I've made sure they were a part of my body. I've probably managed to miss one call by my agency, and that's only because I didn't have service! At least, before Thursday...

So, the bottom line... I see that I missed two calls from my agency and frantically call my voicemail. As I'm listening to the two voicemails they left, I'm also looking at my email that had two messages from my agency, which read... "
we just got information by email and phone that your cases passed court today.....I am a bit confused, but I will double ck and get back to you within the hour." The second one had a subject line which said, "It is true." By this time, I've listened to my two messages my case worker had left - the second one said, "You gotta call me. You're killing me here!" I know frantically call my agency and speak to my case worker, who tells me, "Yes, it really is true! And we had no idea it was even going to court today." The in-country representative who represented us in court wrote, "We have truly seen a miracle today in the case of the Trues passing court." Sissy, in her bedroom hears me yelling and jumping up and down and thinks I've probably lost it a bit. How could i be so excited about getting a new court date, which is what she thinks has happened. That soon changes to her freaking out as well, and then the rest of the family as they find out...

Here it is, 7 weeks after returning home with the newest Trues and I still am so overwhelmed with how blessed we are and with what amazing kids we have been entrusted with. Life will never be the same again... I must admit, it is definitely strange trying to get used to a new normal, but I can't imagine ever going back. The love I have for Little Bro and Peanut (their new blog names :)) is indescribable. The second day we had them in Ethiopia, I remember turning to TrueDad and saying, "I thought I wasn't supposed to love them this much already!" And now we wonder when, or if ever, the grieving they talk about the kids going through, will begin. It truly is amazing how well they both are adjusting. They seem so incredibly happy to have a family.

The first day we picked them up, they were waiting for us outside the orphanage. Little Bro had a huge smile on his face and a bouquet of flowers for us. He took TrueDad's hand from that moment on and claimed him for his own. I took Peanut, who then never wanted to let go of me. Even when the other nannies she had known for the last couple of months reached out to take her, she turned away and held on tight to me. Thus, the bonding began. The nannies clearly gave them lots of love in the orphanage, but she seemed to be so happy to have a mommy who was all her own. Peanut was pretty lifeless and sick the first few days, but has completely come to life since then. When I asked her caregivers at the orphanage what her personality was like, they said that she was very serious and didn't smile or play much. This matches the all the pictures and video we had seen of her, as she never cracked a smile. The doctor said that when he saw her for the first time, she was protein deficient and he was very concerned about her. She had an ear infection, which she has probably had for months. We're hoping that it's finally gone now, but are not sure after several rounds of antibiotics. Since being home for several weeks, she is the happiest and most fun baby/toddler ever! She sparkles, laughs, loves life and her new family.

Little Bro might just be the happiest little 3 1/2 year old I've ever met! He is embracing with both arms his new life in America (they told us that every day he would ask if today was the day he was coming to America...) and his new family. He loves to experience everything possible and loves going "Bye-bye." He asks every day if we're going and gets so excited when we do. We were in the van a lot of the time in Ethiopia (no car seats or seat belts!) and he was right next to the window, with his head partially out of it if possible the entire time, soaking in all the sights and sounds. It's no wonder when you realize that they've spent the last year cloistered in an orphanage, possibly leaving it no more than once or twice. We are very thankful for the care they've gotten, but there is no replacement for a loving family!

This is the original picture I first saw of the kids taken in November, '08:
The next 3 were taken in February of '09...
These are the happiest pictures we have of peanut taken in June...










We were so thrilled to see Little Bro smile when we got this pictures over the summer! Here we got a glimpse into his sparkling personality...









Here we are at the office of the orphanage - they fed us an amazing spread of Ethiopian fare complete with injera. I loved the food - no utensils allowed... it was amazing how Little Bro was an master at this technique... we're working on the forks & spoons :).
















This was a very long and tiring day - but it was also the day that we went to the embassy and received their paperwork allowing us to take them home! That was definitely a miraculous event after which we breathed a huge sigh of relief. The paperwork to bring them home was finally over and we could begin the long trek to getting them home!


Now, they've definitely come to life with personality with a capital P, and we wouldn't change it for the world. Our home is filled with so much laughter and joy. Even when they cry we usually have to laugh. No, we're not completely heartless, they're just so precious most of the time when they cry... But on a very important side note... really, who thought that toys with batteries were a good idea????

No comments: