Friday, October 9, 2009

Chosen?

I come from a long line of strong women. As in wills of iron. Too bad it doesn't extend to physical strength... Sissy has continued this proud tradition by testing the limits from an early age and making her will known in no uncertain terms. We've always joked about how the blood must run thick - this is a trait the men in our family tend to love and put up with depending on the minute (yes, we do reserve the right to change our minds and mood at any given moment!).

God must have decided that this tradition needed to continue and that it would be not just in the blood but in the heart as Peanut is living up to this female tradition. It's either that or my mom has prayed retaliation on my life in retribution for all I put her through... and God hears her prayers louder than mine...

Peanut knows her mind and isn't afraid to let it known to whoever is in close proximity. The problem is that she's so stinking cute during this proclamation. (In the picture of them in the stroller, that was my attempt at getting a pic with both of their sunglasses on - each time she managed to rip it off before the picture snapped - can you see the look of satisfaction on her face?) I just keep reminding myself that it won't be so cute in 10 years. But the little shaking of the head and the grin when she refuses to hand me the head phones that she's quietly destroying... more often than not we find ourselves turning out heads away so she doesn't blatantly see us laughing at her poor display of obedience. At the same time, there are so many times she immediately and admirably refrains from touching the object I've instructed her not to touch - she really is a good girl. But she does get that same impish look that my mom said I had when I was about to do something unmentionable. Why do I think we're in for it????

She loved helping me bake cookies - and she loooved stirring the dough. So much that she would throw a mild fit when I took away the spoon... as you can see, she discovered how to eat the dough and stir at the same time. Yes, she really likes dough.

Yesterday, Peanut started walking. Up until then, she insisted on walking everywhere, if you would hold her hand. And when I said "insisted," I don't use the word lightly... But, God forbid if you took your hand away - she refused to try on her own. Then, yesterday, she decided the time was right. She stood up on her own, after falling down 4 times before, stood there for a couple of seconds, smiling from ear-to-ear and then proceeded to take not one step, not two steps, but five steps, after which she fell and laughed and laughed, all at the same time. She was so proud of herself. When the rest of the family came home (I was the lucky one to witness the initial event :)) we all sat in large circle while she walked from person to person, taking at times 10-15 steps. I always knew it had to be her timing...


Every single one of the men in our family have a quiet strength (I like to think that mine has become quieter over the years...) and are very easy going. Little Bro is no exception. He is the sweetest and most easy going child. Through all the uncertainty and change he's experienced in his short life, I fully expected more acting out, grieving, you name it. Certainly not this, "Yay, I love life and being with every member of my family and where are we going next" response to life displayed on his smiling face continually! We have determined that Little Bro reminds us so much of C.J., who was the same way at his age.

So much for being worried about how they would fit in with the family... their personalities couldn't fit in better if I had prescribed them! We have never been a shy & quiet family, and that continues to be true - no pun intended... Not that I would have necessarily prescribed a strong-willed child, but there is a kind of satisfaction in having another girl with one. Sissy, at 17 is truly one of my closest friends - definitely not a given at this age. Although she felt it necessary to test the limits through early adolescence, she's figuring out who God has made her to be and what that looks like within His purpose for her life and she is truly discovering the good side of that strength. So although I know our road will be more trying at times with Peanut, I'm so excited to help my new daughter discover this as well. And this time, I have another layer of support with Sissy - what a help she is already.

Today, Little Bro said, "Mommy, bro, bread." This doesn't seem like much reading it, but if you could hear him say it, you wouldn't have heard him say, "Brrrro, brrrread," which is what he's always said. Sad to hear him shedding his rolling rrrrr's so quickly.

It's amazing how fast the kids are adjusting to their new lives & family. How thankful we are that God chose them particularly for our family and us for them. There were definitely chosen to be Trues :).

2 comments:

Jodi Queenan Artist copyright 2011 said...

Glad you're back on the blog... Very thoughtful entree and encouraging to us waiting.... Looking forward to your next post.

Amy Jo said...

LOVE the update and photos!!! :-)